My baby is 10!!

Ten years ago today I became a Mom. I was young and naïve but excited and happy. I never knew I could love someone so much, someone that I just met. Sometimes I’m envious of my “first timer” mom self. All my time and devotion to her and our little adventures to the library and the park.  All the “firsts” we shared together, not just hers but mine.





The first time I laid eyes on her I was in awe of what I was entrusted in. How was something so perfect given to someone so imperfect. She was helpless without me.  I felt purpose.

The first time she said “no”, I was so proud. It was the cutest “no” I had ever heard. I had no idea what it was going to turn in to.
The first day I got really mad at her. I don’t remember what it was for but I came in and laid by her side after she went to sleep, tears rolled down my face and I was so grateful for tomorrows. I felt so guilty of overreacting. Those toddler years were hard.

The first time you went to school. Tears rolled down my cheeks again as I sat in the car wondering how you got so big and missing the days we made colorful pancakes in our pjs and bath time was part of our routine.

Through all our firsts and our manys. She makes me a better person. I have learned more about myself than anything else from being her mom.  

My baby is a decade today and she doesn’t remember the firsts but she doesn’t need to. They were mostly for me.  It’s the relationship we have built over the sorrys, the I love yous, the lets try agains, the bedtime stories and now bedtime talks, the working together, the uno games, the hair doing, the listening to stories that happen at school, the dancing in the kitchen and all the in between.

Happy birthday Nikki!! 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top